The gym is located in the Early Education Center (EEC), formerly St. Joseph and Aquinas high schools. It's the large building on the west side of campus with the blue awnings. Masses will be held there daily during the renovations.
Parking lots are located directly in front of and north of the gym (along Johnson Drive). There is a wheelchair entrance to the gym (and wheelchair parking spaces) in the rear of the gym building, so that parishioners may enter the gym on level ground, without any stairs.
The current St. Joseph Church was built nearly 50 years ago. While it has been well-maintained and cared for, it's showing signs of wear and tear. It also needs updated fire and safety systems consistent with modern building codes. In addition, there is limited gathering space for our growing parish. Here are the key challenges we're addressing:
• removal of crumbling exterior entrance steps to create a level, ADA-compliant entrance
• installing fire sprinklers and fire suppression systems needed in the sanctuary
• repairs to trim along exterior of building
• replacing worn carpet with tile flooring
• replacing broken and chipped stained glass windows with liturgically significant stained glass
• replacing worn pews and kneelers with new pews and kneelers
• installing new sound system with loop system for hearing-impaired
• installing modern, energy efficient lighting throughout church sanctuary
• constructing a spacious narthex gathering space with abundant natural light for fellowship events and overflow seating
• adding a new bridal dressing area and additional restrooms
• installing an elevator to make the building ADA compliant and easier for parishioners and guests to use
• replacing windows on the first and third floors
• installing air conditioning throughout the building's offices, meeting rooms and classrooms
Our 50-year-old Church has been well-maintained but needs better and safer accessibility, as well as modernization to communal spaces. The Parish Center needs air conditioning, an elevator and new windows.
Construction costs (Church & Parish Center): $4 million
Design, engineering, furnishings & materials: $2 million
Fr. Mike Hawken, pastor, consulted with the parish Building Committee, which recommended renovations based on needs.
The construction of the church and parish center renovations is scheduled to begin in May 2017 and be completed by early December 2017 during Advent.
Yes. We are planning town hall meetings and in-home gatherings. We will publish dates in the bulletin.
A narthex is a “gathering space” that promotes fellowship and more accessibility. It will also have:
- Seating and gathering places for fellowship before/after Masses, at weddings and funerals.
- Additional, accessible restrooms (without using the cry room).
- Comfortable dressing area for bridal parties; this area converts to a cry room.
- Video screens to view overflow Masses and for crowds signing guest books at weddings and funerals - Large glass windows which provide additional light flowing into our worship space.
- A new gift shop location near the usher’s room.
There will be a new main entrance on the east side of the church and new narthex area. It will feature:
- A covered entry where cars can drop off parishioners on flat ground and go right into the vestibule.
- A new entry drive, off King St., that leads into the covered drop-off area.
- An updated east parking lot with plenty of accessible parking spaces.
Other entrances to the church on the southeast, southwest, and northwest sides remain.
- Better accessibility, more light, and an enhanced focal point for Eucharistic celebrations.
- New, slip-resistant flooring, with new pews and doors, and additional handicap accessible spaces
- New stained glass windows, depicting scenes of St. Joseph and the Holy Family.
- Relocated choir section, new sound system and instruments.
- Altar design enhancements such as a new ambo (pulpit) and a new skylight feature.
- Marble wall behind tabernacle will have a new, decorative frame. Doors on either side removed.
During the renovation period (late April - December 2017), weddings and funerals will be held in other locations. The St. Joseph parish office staff is already working diligently to arrange locations on a case by case basis to benefit the families affected. If you're a St. Joseph parishioner, please call us first to make the arrangements and we can help work out the best possible schedule for your sacramental event. Please contact us by phone (913-631-5983) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss all available options. We appreciate your patience and understanding during our renovation period, and we will ensure that your event is handled in the most caring way possible.
Confirmation and First Holy Communion will be held in the Church as planned. St. Joseph Grade School Graduation will be held in the school gymnasium in May 2017, as Church construction will be well underway then. The gymnasium has a wheelchair/walker accessible entrance at the back of the gym, and handicap parking spaces are available there.